Friday, March 20, 2009

Everything is falling into place!

We took our childbirth class last Saturday, and I am so glad we did! I think we both feel much more prepared and ready to go!

It was different than I expected. We didn't really learn the breathing technique stuff. A little bit, but not much - maybe spent 10-15 minutes out of a 6 hour class on breathing. We learned alot about natural ways to cope with labor pains, learned about medical pain relief options offered at that hospital, a little more about the general procedure, and what happens if there are complications, learned about c-sections, and got to tour the birthplace. It was taught by a labor and delivery nurse and there was a delivery doctor there for a 45 min q&a, so we really got alot of questions answered.

Since I was a preemie, I wanted to know more about preterm labor, and did find out that they will try to stop labor if you go into it before 36 weeks, but at that 36 week mark, they'll deliver. That is less than 4 weeks away!!!

I also asked if my delivery can be related at all to my mother's labor history. The doctor said that the 2 things you can take from your mother is the ability to have a vaginal birth (your hips are typically similar) and that your baby's birth weight will most likely be similar to your own birth wieght. Well, I don't count, since I was 8 weeks early, but I asked about siblings and he said if they were all about the same, then yes. Well, I asked Mom and she said all the other 4 kids were about 5 lbs! Granted she was a smoker, so I can expect a little higher, but I was happy to hear everyone was on the smaller side. I do not want to push out a 10 pound baby!

Mom also said she had very short labors, and not terribly painful - she slept through the beginning stages of 2 of them! I really hope my labor is like that! It probably won't be though, since I have had a relatively easy pregnancy, and hers were full of terrible morning sickness and heartburn. Oh well! We'll just have to wait and see!

Thank goodness the upcoming weeks are going to be busy ones, otherwise Dh and I would go stir crazy, we are both just so anxious and excited!

Next on the calendar is the baby shower MIL is hosting! It has been quite the crazy ordeal trying to plan this shower, and MIL has NOT been very accomodating or gracious about the whole thing, which has been pretty stressful, but I am trying to be grateful and just think about it this way - no matter how it happens, just the fact that I get a shower means we are more prepared for Levi and he will have some things to help welcome him into this world.

Well, that's it for now!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

How exciting! I can't believe how fast the time has flown (on my end)! It seems like just yesterday you were announcing your good news. :-) I found this post very interesting, it's great news that we can expect our babies to be similar to our mom's! My siblings and I were all 6 - 6.5 pounds. Sounds good to me! I'll be keeping you in my thoughts over the next few weeks, hopefully you'll make it past 36 weeks, but I guess it wouldn't be awful for him to come a little early, then you won't have to wait as long to meet him!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is really interesting that I will be able to have vaginal births...especially since my mom had 5. I am good to go there. haha Why is MIL stressing you out about the shower? What's been going on there?

Powered by Blogger.