Monday, February 16, 2009

No GD for me!

The short of the story: My blood sugar level was on the high side of normal, I passed!

The results of my 1-hr were just posted online: 131mg/dL

I wanted to know what this meant so I googled it and found that most sources say something along these lines:

"A blood glucose of 140mg/dL will identify 80% of women with gestational diabetes. When that cutoff is lowered to 130mg/dL the yield increases to 90%. If your blood glucose level was greater than 130 mg/dL, your provider will likely recommend you take another diabetes screening test..." (http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/pregnancy-diabetes).

So I emailed my doctor and she responded that she uses the 140mg/dL cut off. So I don't have to take the 3-hr test, and I can still eat carbs and sugar!

My only concern is that because my result was kinda borderline, that I might have or still develop GD. How would I know if this happened? Could something bad happen if I had it and continued to eat my normal diet?

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.