Monday, May 11, 2009

39 Week Appt Update

By the time I went in for my 39 week prenatal appointment (Thursday, May 7th), I was growing very weary of all the late term pregnancy symptoms. I hadn't had any signs of labor either. Hubby was pretty disappointed all those nesting instincts hadn't kicked in - he was looking forward to a clean house and baked goods, lol ;)

At a previous appt, my doctor and I had discussed how she doesn't believe in doing internal exams too early, because they don't really mean anything, but said she might do one at 39 weeks, and for sure at 40. So in I went to my appt, really hoping she would take a peek and let me know if anything was going on down there. While the nurse was taking my weight down, she let me know my OB was running late from a surgery she had that am. Then she took my blood pressure and checked out my swollen feet and decided that since the doctor was running late anyways, why not do an NST? So all hooked up I went, everything looked great and there was no sign of contractions anywhere - boo!

Since I was already on the table when my ob arrived, she decided to get right down to business with an internal. Immediately, she looked up at me eyes wide and says "Are you in labor?!?" I was just like, "Uh, I don't think so... there weren't any contractions on the nst." So she followed up by telling me that I was 4cm dialated and the bag of waters was bulging and felt ready to pop at any time!

I was so excited! She even said that if I wanted to, I could go on up to the hospital and get things jump started with some pitocin right then. I declined tho, because I really wanted to have this baby naturally. I did express my concern about working so far from the hospital tho (about an hour and a half away) and she told me no more work! Who-hoo! I left with instructions to go home and take a long walk and come back first thing Monday morning if I was still pregnant :)

I thought for sure I would go into labor that day/night sometime, since after my appt I was crampy and had a lower back ache, so I went and filled up the car with gas, went to the grocery store, went home and picked up somethings so the house looked somewhat presentable when visitors came. Then I went for a long walk, and nothing...

Then the next day I lost my plug and thought for sure something was going to happen. I called up my doctors nurse just to make sure that was it because my OB had told me I should have already lost my plug being so far dialated. I thought it was strange I never saw it! I didn't think it looked anything like other girls describe. To me it looked like a chunk of raw chicken. Gross, I know. The nurse told me I could come back in for another check, and I was curious to see if there was anymore progress, so back in I went. My Dr was surprised to see me since she had said Monday, but she went ahead and checked anyways, but no more progress. Ugh. So home for the weekend I went.

There was a full moon on Saturday, and Sunday was Mother's day, so I really thought baby would be here before the end of the weekend. But despite eating spicy food (Doritos jalepeno popper flavored chips) and taking a bumpy 4wheeler ride, baby decided he wanted to stay put!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.