Thursday, August 7, 2008

To ttc or not to ttc. That is the question.

So, I know I said I was ready for some changes in my life, but I guess I wasn't specific enough...

DH all the sudden thinks he is going to get burnt out at his job, and he is envious of the fact that his brother makes so much money and has great benefits. Now Hubby thinks he wants to give his brother's career a try!

Well, his little bro is a lineman apprentice. He is working while training to become a full-fledged lineman. Those are the guys who work on powerlines. He makes more money than DH and I put together and gets like an automatic 25% put into retirement fund. But he also has a very dangerous job and he has to live wherever work is during the week. He only is home like 1-2 days a each weekend when he chooses to drive home. Plus its dangerous! And the people are not exactly the wholesome devoted husbands and father-types that I want my DH to be influence by every day.

Before this whole scenerio came up, I thought we basically had figured out what to do for our "TTC game plan". We were going to take a break for a while and start trying again in January to see if we could time a fall/winter baby again. The reasoning behind this is that since DH works seasonal he wouldn't be able to be as supportive or involved if we had a child in the busy summer months. So why not take advantage of the fact that he is home for 4 months during the winter? But if I didn't get pg during the prime window, we weren't going to stop ttc and wait again, just keep trying til it happened!

But now I am torn. On one hand, if he switches careers and isn't home in the winters, why wait? We could try again right away. On the other hand if he starts a job where he is never home, should we wait indefinitly to ttc? DH says he want to do this for like 2-3 years until the apprenticeship is up and then try to get a full-time job with a local electric company, so he can work normal hours and be home every night.

Neither of us really know what to do right now, and I know that I am not going to get my ideal situation no matter what. Either I will spend a couple years with my child not having the support from DH that I want, or I have to wait a few years, and that makes me really sad to think about too.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

What a hard decision! I don't know what I would do in your position. I think I would definitely wait to TTC until DH had the job decision definitely figured out. Like if he becomes a lineman apprentice you could wait until he has the job for a couple of months so you could get the hang of being alone so often. My DH has busy seasons too where he travels every week for a month or 2. It's always so hard. I'm already worried that he will be traveling a lot around the time our future baby is born, but there's no way to predict his schedule so far in advance!

A lot of women have babies when their husbands aren't around much. And it will be nice to have the extra money when you have the baby...maybe you could even be a stay at home mom or just work part-time. Anyway, it seems like there's good and bad things about this new situation! I still have no clue what I would do, so I hope you are able to figure out the right thing.

Jen lleras said...

I am almost 5 months pregnant and my husband is switching careers right now! He has been working very hard and has hit a point in his company where advancement is scarce. So he is training to be a police officer for either the county of the capital. I support him no matter what he does, i have the utmost trust in him and his decisions, had we not been preggers already I would have kept TTC, if you wait until you think you are ready for the baby, it will NEVER happen, trust me, your never ready or in the perfect state to have a baby. You just have to do it and make it work! You should talk it over and make a decision together of course, but I would recommend TTC, it's worth it in the long run even if things aren't picture perfect like you imagine them, because they never are.

Powered by Blogger.